How to Fix Blow By in Your Vehicle
Blow by is a common problem that occurs in vehicles, especially those with high mileage. It is a condition where the engine oil is pushed past the piston rings and into the combustion chamber, resulting in excessive smoke and oil consumption. If left unaddressed, blow by can cause serious damage to your engine and lead to costly repairs. In this article, we will discuss how to fix blow by in your vehicle.
What Causes Blow By?
Before we dive into the solutions, it is important to understand what causes blow by in the first place. There are several factors that can contribute to this problem:
Worn Piston Rings
Piston rings are responsible for sealing the combustion chamber and preventing oil from entering. Over time, these rings can wear out and lose their ability to seal properly, resulting in blow by.
Clogged PCV Valve
The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve is responsible for regulating the pressure inside the engine. If this valve becomes clogged, it can cause excessive pressure to build up, leading to blow by.
Worn Valve Guides
The valve guides are responsible for guiding the valves in and out of the engine. Over time, these guides can wear out and allow oil to enter the combustion chamber, resulting in blow by.
How to Fix Blow By
Now that we know what causes blow by, let’s discuss how to fix it:
Replace Worn Piston Rings
If your piston rings are worn out, the only solution is to replace them. This is a complex and time-consuming process that should only be attempted by experienced mechanics. It involves removing the engine from the vehicle and disassembling it to access the piston rings.
Clean or Replace the PCV Valve
If your PCV valve is clogged, you can try cleaning it with a solvent and a small brush. If this does not work, you will need to replace the valve. This is a relatively simple process that can be done by most DIY mechanics.
Replace Worn Valve Guides
If your valve guides are worn out, the only solution is to replace them. This is a complex and time-consuming process that should only be attempted by experienced mechanics. It involves removing the cylinder head from the engine and disassembling it to access the valve guides.
Preventing Blow By
While blow by can be fixed, it is always better to prevent it from happening in the first place. Here are some tips to help prevent blow by:
Change Your Oil Regularly
Regular oil changes can help prevent blow by by keeping your engine lubricated and reducing wear on the piston rings and valve guides.
Use High-Quality Oil
Using high-quality oil can also help prevent blow by by providing better lubrication and reducing wear on the engine components.
Replace Your PCV Valve Regularly
Replacing your PCV valve regularly can help prevent blow by by ensuring that the pressure inside the engine is regulated properly.
Drive Your Vehicle Gently
Driving your vehicle gently can also help prevent blow by by reducing wear on the engine components.
Blow by is a common problem that can cause serious damage to your engine if left unaddressed. By understanding what causes blow by and how to fix it, you can keep your vehicle running smoothly and avoid costly repairs. Remember to always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for maintenance and use high-quality oil to keep your engine in top condition.
You are looking : how to fix blow by
You can refer more 9 how to fix blow by below
- Descriptions: By cleaning the stiction, the rings will move more freely, allowing for a tighter seal between the cylinder walls and the piston. That way you can avoid …
- Website : https://www.hotshotsecret.com/how-to-prevent-and-fix-engine-blowby/
- Descriptions: Remove your oil pan to install a larger one if blow-by continues. A larger oil pan will keep more of the oil away from the rotating crankshaft, reducing the …
- Website : https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Engine-Oil-Blow%25E2%2580%2590By
- Website : https://dieselsmoke.com.au/what-is-engine-blowby-and-how-to-fix-it/
- Website : https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D5AZHjgh-CpU
- Website : https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DSnepo7rdhsc
- Descriptions: 1. Change Piston Rings. One of the best ways to treat engine blow-by is to change the piston rings. This involves taking the engine apart …
- Website : https://mycarmakesnoise.com/engine/engine-blow-by-symptoms-causes-and-how-to-fix-it/
- Descriptions: “To fix engine blow by, FTC Decarbonizer is added to the diesel at each fill, and you literally just drive the engine clean! The decarbonizing process is gentle …
- Website : https://www.industrysearch.com.au/how-to-fix-engine-blow-by/f/20817
- Website : https://www.proadditives.com/engine-blowby/
- Website : https://mechanicbase.com/engine/what-is-a-blow-by/
Leave a Reply